|SharePoint 2013||SharePoint 2010|
|What is SharePoint 2013 (Preview) –
A new version of Microsoft famous Collaboration portal called SharePoint. The version adds few new exciting features such as Social Feed,SharePoint Apps and cross-site publishing.
|What is SharePoint 2010 – It is a previous or I should say current version of SharePoint that was released in year 2010.|
|Development Changes –
· Tools – SharePoint 2013 has Introduced new Tools for App development. Visual Studio 2012 now lets you develop apps for SharePoint and apps for Office. In addition a new web-based tools called “Napa” Office 365 Development Tools were introduced for developing apps.
· No more Sandbox solutions. SharePoint 2013 sandboxed solutions are deprecated. So all we got is the New App model and the Old SharePoint Farm solutions. check outSharePoint 2013 – Apps Vs Farm solutions
|Development Changes –
· SharePoint 2010 Introduced Sandbox solutions to help developers deploy code that did not effect the whole farm.
· In SharePoint 2010 you could use Server Object model and Client Object model (.Net Managed, ECMASCRIPT and silverlight) to extract data from SharePoint.
· In SharePoint 2010 developers were also developing Farm solutions as they did with the previous SharePoint 2007 version.
|Social and Collaboration features –
Microsoft in SharePoint 2013 Introduced new Social capabilities for better collaboration in the company.New Features added are –
· Interactive feed
· Community Site
· Follow people
· Follow Sites
|Social and Collaboration features – SharePoint 2010 had very few social capabilities.
· My sites
· Tags and Tag profile pages
|Search – SharePoint 2013 includes several enhancements, custom content processing with the Content Enrichment web service, and a new framework for presenting search result types. Some of the features added are –
· Consolidated Search Results
· Rich Results Framework
· keyword query language (KQL) enhancements
|Search – SharePoint 2010 had Introduced Integrated FAST search as an Enterprise search. In addition to this build-in SharePoint search is still widely used in companies.|
|Enterprise Content Management (ECM) –
SharePoint 2013 added some of the best capabilities of an ECM software. The newly added stuff is
· Design Manager
· Managed Navigation
· Cross-site Publishing
|Enterprise Content Management (ECM) –SharePoint 2010 on the other hand had Introduced Managed metadata and taxonomy as a part of new ECM benefits for SP 2010. This version did not had Managed Navigation and Cross-site Publishing. SharePoint designer was a primary tool to modify Master pages instead of the new Design Manager.|